Sunday, July 10, 2011

Beach Totes

Since we planned on spending most of our time at the beach in Hawaii, I thought it would be fitting to make matching beach totes for myself and my two friends. I used plain canvas and BurdaStyle's free Charlie Reusable Grocery Bag pattern. I altered the pattern by opening up the armhole to make it more comfortable for carrying on your shoulder. I used french seams, made self bias binding to finish the edges, and added a metal snap for closure at the top.

To decorate the bags, I cut out our first initials in different colors of felt. I sewed around the edges of the letters with contrasting thread, and then machine emroidered different designs over the rest of the felt.

Other than the tie dyed pajamas that I sewed, these tote bags were a great gift idea! We used them every single day since they were the perfect size for carrying our towels, swim suits, and sunscreen.




3 comments:

  1. I like the bags a lot! Very simple, functional but at the same time with a personal touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful present. Everytime your friends look at their bags, they will immediately think of you and your holiday! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the big initials from? Love the idea and would like to put a "C" on a shirt.

    ReplyDelete