The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook was released back in November, but I didn't get my dress variation back until a month or two ago. Since then I've had it on display on my dress form, which was a silly thing to do when I should have taken photos of it straight away to share with all of you!
When I first received the fabric for this dress from BurdaStyle, I was a bit disappointed. In the sketches I submitted for the project I had asked for a blue cotton voile and this fabric was entirely different, quilters cotton and such a bright color! After I got over the initial bit of disappointment, I realized the bright color they sent me was way better since it challenged me and broke me away from my usual color choices. I'm still haunted by the fact that it's quilters cotton because it made the dress pretty heavy.
The designs on the fabric form a striped pattern which I played around with on the bodice of the dress. For my variation, I added a button front and a collar, plus pleats on the skirt. I also added frills of fabric around the arm holes and across the back yoke.
I'm so happy that I got to be a part of The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook, and I am especially proud of my work on this dress. I hope you all enjoy it!
If you would like to make this dress, check out the tutorial section of the blog.
If you have already made a dress following the tutorial, please share with me. I'd love to see your work!