Tuesday, June 7, 2011

June 7

Lately, most of my sewing time has been spent working on a big pajama project.
I'm going on a vacation with two of my best friends this month, so I thought it would be fun for us to have matching pajamas. And then I thought, why not make matching pajamas for my sister and cousin who both have birthdays coming up?
I have now made 5 pairs of matching tank tops and shorts. Phew!



For the tank tops I used Grainline's Tiny Pocket Tank pattern, but altered the back by adding a big cutout and crisscrossed straps.
The shorts were based on the Jane pattern from BurdaStyle. I altered the shorts pattern by rounding off the corners on the side seams, adding bias binding all around the leg openings, and using a few rows of encased elastic for the waistband.
I used french seams and a bunch of bias binding so that everything is nice and neat.

After playing around with a few ideas for the fabric, I decided to use plain white cotton so that I could tie dye the pajamas! I guess this means that the above photos are "before" photos.
This afternoon was spent soaking fabric, mixing dyes, tying up fabric in tons of rubber bands, and finally dying! So much fun! I wish I could have a full time job working on tie dye.
I have to wait a full 24 hours to unwrap the tie dyed pajamas, but I'm sure they turned out great! I'm sooo excited! Stay tuned for "after" photos!


If you want to see some tie dye in the meantime, you can look at my Tie Dye Inspiration board on Pinterest!

1 comment: